Friday, August 10, 2012

Three-day catch up

I planned to do a short day at the barn on Wednesday, as I knew I had to catch up with the working student before me, Devan. I ended up talking to her for a lot longer (she is great!) so changed plans to a "computer" day so I could do some work on the Working Student Program documents. Then I had the concert which consumed my evening and night.

Thursday started with a partly intentional, partly unintentional sleep in. Intentional because I didn't get to bed until 1.30am. Unintentional, because my NZ mobile, who's only function at present is to be my alarm clock, went flat without me realising, so I woke up at 8-something am when the room got light. Josie and I stayed in bed until our tummies started rumbling. She got her usual dog biscuits while I made (turkey) bacon and eggs (I don't DISlike the turkey bacon but real bacon is so much more satisfying!). We made it to the barn around 10.30am.

I took Fon into the arena with her CR halter and bridle, to start with some groundwork. She has been doing so well out in the field but I thought it was high time we went back to the arena. I practised walking in connection (she is SO much better at this now, doesn't toss her head constantly, and some days, not at all), walking with hip press (1 and 2 lines) and 2 line walking to sideways (she was great to the right, but slightly fussy to the left, which is her stickier shoulder).

Fon was absolutely fantastic under saddle. She is starting to offer a head down stretch (long/loose rein) of her own accord. Combing settles her instantly if she jigs at all. I felt she was balanced enough to ask for a trot transition to the left, which was OK (she didn't instantly go hollow or get too rushy and the transitions up and down were quite nice). We ended with a couple of walk-halt transitions which were very nice.

I need to remember to keep the rein connection steady (not too loose) - it helps if I don't wear my groundwork gloves while riding - and also focus on asking her to come up into the bridle, so to speak, by asking for her hindquarters with a wiggle while containing the front end (still letting her telescope).

Sully and I did some groundwork with him wearing his halter. I also put the roller bit on (Linda Tellington-Jones' design, very well balanced) so he had something else to think about. The roller bit can be ridden in, though I've only ever used it for groundwork (and I don't think I've ever done groundwork "from" the bit, preferring to only have the horse wear the bit while I continue to work off the halter and rope). He was a lot softer wearing the bit.
I played around with walking in connection with 1,2,3,4 presses, shoulder press, and using the wand to get two or three places at once (eg the wand's knob, my hand, and the thin end of the wand touching different areas). He does very well with the reminders of "head down" on his head, neck and shoulders.



Peggy called in the evening and was really pleased with my feedback. She suggested I try a neck ring with Fon to help give her a steady connection in the trot, and remind her to let the base of her neck go. She was also pleased about me using the roller bit as Sully needs to be taken through non-habitual processes.


Today Chico was first up. He was not QUITE as good as Tuesday. I say that because, though he was very soft and willing, I had to work to get his right shoulder unstuck. I did groundwork from his bridle incl out/in/sideways (he is better travelling to the left, due to the stickier right shoulder falling in/not moving over when travelling to the right). Before I took him out I thought I might canter him, which didn't happen in the end. I spent quite a lot of time in walk (his walk has improved so much: he is more out/down to begin, his base is higher, he isn't diving onto his forehand so much, and he can keep his head down more consistently through changes of direction). Then the same in trot. I need to remember the same things as Fon, just executed in a slightly different way: capture the hind legs, contain the front end (and my elbows!), remember my extreme rotation and wiggle wiggle to get his hind end moving up into the bridle.

Sully also came out for groundwork. He was better today than yesterday - softer, more attentive, and head lower with fewer reminders from me. I like this sort of reaction after the horses have worn the roller bit. I did the same presses as yesterday, along with hip press and holding his tail in connection.
Following a suggestion from Peggy, today I rode Sully for the first time. I kept it short (10 minutes) and sweet (nice and easy work) as I don't know him and he is not riding fit following time off.
Sully responds better to "true" rotation (rotation in the direction of travel) than counter (my rotation is opposite, or counter, to the horse's direction of travel).

Finally, Karen took Bracken and I took Fonteyn onto the trail, in-hand. Fon is not ready to be ridden out there, but that doesn't mean she can't get used to the environment and broaden her horizons. It was lovely to have the support of Karen to make the process easier on Fon. We led most of the way. She was totally chilled and completely happy, even when Bracken dropped back a little (on purpose). When we followed Bracken, she was a tiny bit more rushy in her effort to keep up with him. All in all, I am very pleased with her attitude today. It shows she is more comfortable in her own skin and progressing to a point where she can be a much more "involved" member of the CEI team.

I caved at the heat and bought ice cream on the way home. Also, I should not buy ice cream when I'm hot and tired and hungry, because I couldn't 't pass up the two for $7 special on the tubs that normally cost $5.99 (hey, any other tub would have been at least $5 and a single-serve cone or similar from the local Iced Creamery probably a similar price, and I have two whole tubs of ice cream!). In any case, I'll behave and not consume it all in one go, I promise. On the plus side, I also bought eggs (in preparation for making pie!) and coffee (I am so spoiled, because this country doesn't have drinkable instant. If I want coffee, I have to brew it. Moccona will never be the same again...).

Tonight's dinner was really good. I intended to take a photo of it on my plate but somehow it was eaten before I remembered the photo part. These will have to do! I cooked a fresh cob of corn, dauphinoise potatoes and a small piece of Black Angus steak.

After dinner Josie and I went for a walk to a spot I knew there were accessible blackberry plants (next to the road).
This is my haul (approximately 12 cups, enough for two pies!). I think tomorrow will be baking day.

No comments:

Post a Comment