Thursday, August 9, 2012

Aerosmith: Global Warming Tour

Warning: non-horsey post! (I will update the equine parts of Wednesday and Thursday along with Friday's notes.)

I set off for Tacoma at 5.30pm, wearing non-horsey clothes (first chance I've had to wear my nice boots!), armed with food, snacks, water, maps, sunglasses, mp3 player and my ticket. The trip was essentially highway 3 south, to highway 16 east, to Interstate highway 5 north (via 705) with the Tacoma Dome exit not too far from where I would enter I5. The trip took about an hour and I only hit traffic about a mile before the Dome (and I'd seen it from the highway), as I was leaving I5. I wish I'd been the passenger going over the Tacoma Narrows bridge as I'd have loved some photos, it was spectacular and had a really good view over the water. The other thing I would have done if I'd had more time (and no poodle to think about) was leave earlier in the day and check out the attractions in Tacoma. I may have the opportunity to at least visit the glass museum next week when Lana collects her nephew from Tacoma (I am welcome to go along for the ride).

Parking was no cause for concern. I followed the flow of the other cars and parked at the Car Museum, directly opposite the Dome. There was virtually no queue to get into the parking or the Dome itself, as I was fairly early.

I found my seat...

This was my view of the stage
The view towards the back
Centre stage

The stage and roof - going up, as opposed to down.
Centre roof
The opening act was a band called Cheap Trick, who I (not a muso) have never heard of. The only song they played that I recognised was "I want you to want me", and only because I've heard several remakes! If I'd realised I wouldn't have enjoyed their set, I would have left a little later (though then I think I would have had a nightmare parking).
Finally, the lights dimmed and the show started!



Of the concerts I've been to, I'd class this one as the best, simply because it's a band I LOVE as opposed to tagging along with other people at shows with bands they love. I did really enjoy Guns N Roses (though the joke was it was only "Axl plus cover band") and Alice Cooper's stage show was incredible, but they just don't compare to a band who's songs you sing along to in the car because the CD is on repeat.

I expected traffic getting out and sat in the queue with the motor off while I ate my sandwich and drank water. I should have taken a book to read or something! Then, the people directing traffic at the exit and further up the road sent me in the wrong direction (to I5 North, rather than South). Luckily I had loaded google maps onto my laptop and could work out where I was and where I needed to go (all while stationary, of course). There was a little traffic on If but after that it was plain sailing the whole way home. I was VERY tired and considered stopping for a coffee at one of the many, many food places just off the highway, though my plan was to do that after I got out of Tacoma so I didn't get stuck in more traffic, then the opportunities dwindled and I was cruising homewards to bed. I think I was asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow, somewhere around 1.30am. 

Set list:

draw the line
elevator
same old song
edge
oh yeah
last child
--drum solo--
ragdoll
combination
stop messin'
what it takes
legendary child
come together
rats
sweet emotion
walk this way

encore:
dream on
train

No comments:

Post a Comment