Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Peggy is home!

Peggy and Susan arrived last night. I collected them at the ferry terminal after taking Josie to the last dog training class of this term. Josie, by the way, did really well at class, and her "no jumping on people" is going so well she didn't even see Peggy and Susan right in front of her (she was so busy staying at proper dog level - I had to move her head up so she saw who was in front of her). So cute!

Their return did mean I didn't have a poodle on my bed for the first time in a week - not that I mind her but I do love the extra foot-stretching space ;)

Today started a little slowly, as always after trips away and lots of travelling. I ended up heading to the barn to give rems, turn out the horses, mix feeds and bring a saddle back to plonk on the saddle stand.

Yep, you guessed it - I got balanced! I love being balanced... each time brings a new awareness of something you are (or aren't) doing. I have been hanging out for a balancing since I got here.

Peggy ran through some checks and talked about various things to be aware of. She checked my right leg, moved to my left and did a sequence of meeting and melting there, then played around with a certain tight spot on my left foot. She also got me lengthening my lower back (a tough spot for me). Back at my right leg and voila! It too was a lot softer than at the start, despite all the "work" being done on the LEFT. It was a great "Feldy moment" ;)
I have to focus on widening my hips and thighs more than I have been, allowing my hips (as in, the ball) to glide and be mobile, allowing my lower back to expand, expanding from my hip to my armpit (so, not collapsing my ribs), and keeping my sternum up and collarbones open.

We ate lunch and Susan drove us to the barn so she'd have the car for her errands. Still in her PJs. I laughed and said she should go past WalMart on her way home, ha ha ha.

First up was Sully. I caught him in the interest of not changing tack around a million times: he and Fon are sharing the same bit and it was still on his bridle.

Karen arrived at the same time we did so also came down to watch groundwork. I ran through the things I'd been working on with Sully in his halter. He was SUPER today. His eye has started softening over the past two or three days and he is really coming into himself. His head and neck were softer and lower. His high place isn't as high as it was. He needs less frequent, smaller reminders (though still a LOT compared to a horse like Fon) about where to keep his head and that his neck must release.

I was able to mount from the right (the "wrong" side) today, which he couldn't achieve yesterday.
Under saddle he gave me the same feeling: more consistent and better quality than the past few days. His changes of direction were smoother and he was more contained.

I still need to remember to think wide between my hips (a LOT more than I think is necessary) to allow my thighs to move in a subtle way.

I like that he gives a better connection to the rein: he trusts the bit more and searches for a stretch, as opposed to Fon who gives me the sensation that if I so much as touch the rein, she'll immediately go hollow.
His hind legs are more active. He is building muscle on his topline. His hocks are folding more and his front legs are not so "stabby" in their movement. Peggy asked me to trot him both directions to see where he was at. His movement was surprisingly mincey and short, though fairly active. Again, wide through hips and thighs, slow elbows, find the rhythm in my elbows and then ask for outside hind, inside hind. Rinse and repeat.


Fon came in next. She ended up wearing Sully's bridle (fair's fair - he wears her saddle!). It actually suits her better than her one, which would look good on Sully. I sense a tack reorganisation coming on...

I was happy with her groundwork in the bridle, especially considering I have had her halter on her for the past week. I went to hip press this week which really helps her release her head and neck into a great stretch, as well as improve the placement of her inside hind leg (her hinds legs are very 'present' at the moment anyway). Picking up the outside rein as well helps her get a better 'out' on the circle.

Under saddle, I didn't really know what to expect as I have been feeling she needs the rope, rather than the bit/rein. She surprised me and her initial walk was much less rushy than I expected. Peggy took me through the same drill, in a much more subtle way: Fon is all about finesse. I have to think open with the knee to allow the turn/circle. Think open through the hips to allow a wiggle and find the rhythm in the legs and elbows. She had me starting counter bend (I rotate out, horse looks out, I ask with outside leg for horse to travel in; I rotate in, horse looks in, I ask with inside leg for horse to travel out, THEN a change of direction first and change of head from out to in next). That sounds like a lot, and it is! Especially when you're trying to sort out what to do with your various body parts in sequence.

All in all, it was a great day in the afternoon sun.

At home we prepared turkey burgers and a salad, swept the deck and picked up all the apples that have fallen from the totally overloaded tree. Miss Josie couldn't understand what we were doing with her toys (she has been bringing apples inside, one by one). Dinner was followed by the remains of the second blackberry pie, served with yoghurt. Yum!

Now, it is well and truly time for bed... good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment