Thursday, August 2, 2012

Catch up!

Time to catch up after 4 days without internet and a SUPER long day at the barn today (today's update might have to wait until tomorrow! I *still* haven't written my journal entries for the past 4 days at the barn... and two of those were a week ago!!!).

This is something I wrote after getting home from Oregon on Tuesday.


To Oregon and back

I had an absolutely wonderful few days in Oregon. Now that I’m ‘home’ I have got a few moments to sit and think, without needing to be prepared to jump up and help with horses.

Two Creeks Farm, where clinic host Joan lives with her husband Dan, is a wonderful property. The arena is a sand and small rubber chip mix that is soft but not deep footing. The small barn includes two stalls with runs for her two retired mares, Amber and Stella. The visiting horses were set up in portable pens (the panels are a fairly essential item for anyone travelling to clinics or shows) in one paddock, with another paddock a turn out area for the horses to rotate through. Chairs were set up at one end of the arena in a place there was shade from trees and the barn as well as sun (when it decided to show up). A good friend of Joan’s, Pam, had her video cameras and equipment under a small gazebo. Pam is the usual “clinic videographer” and only charges low fee for her time (basically to cover expenses), so the riders can have the benefit of their lessons being videoed.

This clinic was aimed at a core of 5 people in the practitioner course: all except one have completed the 101 and 102 training courses. Naturally, the aim for those 5 is to progress to the 103 course, scheduled for the end of August. There was also a bodyworker (of sorts) who has been riding with Peggy for several years, and Joan, who has been working with Peggy for the last 20 years.

The Oregon PIT group are fantastic. I learned a LOT from them and their horses. As the Working Student, I wasn’t there to “participate” as such: I was more of an observer, someone to work/walk with horses in the arena as required, offer support to riders, handle the rider’s second horse if required, and so on. The riders have already done a lot together, including lesson/clinic days with and without Peggy and a demo at an Expo last year. It really shows in the support they offer each other and I felt they welcomed me with open arms (of course, it helped that I was the Kiwi Support Person ;) ).

Day one was their chance to catch up with Peggy and for her to see where they were at. As with most clinics, this meant groundwork in the morning and groundwork + riding in the afternoon. I spent some time working with Karen’s horses Rheanna and Zach, Stella and an Appaloosa called Ode.

Day two was set up with two sessions. The aim was for each PIT to show the process of preparing the horse to ride. This meant a groundwork-focussed session in the morning and a riding-focussed session in the afternoon (but, if the horse wasn’t ready to ride in either of those sessions, the rider would not get on). As the day progressed, Peggy and one of her experienced instructors Deb, worked with the riders from the ground. Both Peggy and Deb rode horses to get through various stucknesses, usually with the other one on the ground and the rider watching. All horses and riders came along in leaps and bounds – very necessary.

Day three included auditors for the first time. The riders and horses really had to “bring it” today. Again, the focus was on the process: the riders came out in pairs and after a brief start on groundwork, summed up where the horse was at and what they were working on to ensure the horse had all four legs present and working before they mounted.
 
It was interesting for me to spend a little time with the auditors and hear their questions: normally I am so busy with horses at clinics that I don’t have time or energy to sit and chat with “strangers.” I also took some photographs; I enjoy watching through the viewfinder and capturing the “YES!” moments.

Day 4 was a lesson day. To me, this was a little more disjointed and less easy to watch. I didn’t know some of the riders and some of the horses; I felt integrated with three days with the PIT group. The contrast to watching someone for one hour with a completely different horse is huge.

Also, Joan’s horse Stella was thoroughly fed up with all the horses on HER property. She is a well bred mare who was ridden to Third level and completely broken down before Joan acquired her. Joan has worked incredibly hard to bring Stella back to soundness, however she is a very anxious horse and wants to protect her barn mate Amber. Their runs end beside the gate to the arena so every time Stella was having trouble with horses coming and going, I’d take a wand and stroke it down her front legs to calm her. She knows and trusts the Connected and TTeam work. It helps bring her brain back so that she doesn’t rush around and risk damaging herself (she is 25, with a host of body issues).


A highlight of my time was getting to know the riders. I spent the first night in Albany with Karen, then went to Lori’s for two nights. She had her own horse Alibi (a Saddlebred) at the clinic, as well as a horse on trial that she wanted Peggy, Deb and Carolyn to have a look at (no point vetting him if they could find a glaring problem). The drive to and from Lori’s place gave us a chance to chat. I feel Lori is one of the most dedicated riders I’ve ever met: she has drive and ambition. Now that she’s ‘Connected’ there is no way she is doing anything else, and I really admire that.

Lori spent most of Thursday going to view Palmer and bringing him home (4 hours with the trailer, each way). He was a little shell shocked when we loaded him on Saturday for the hour to Joan’s place, but settled very well. I do hope he passes his vet check as he is a lovely type of horse, built so that being base up is an easy thing (very, very unusual).. Lori seriously looked at more than 150 horses before finding Palmer so she’s a little jaded about what’s out there. It is incredibly difficult to find horses that haven’t been crammed or jammed or are seriously broken or stuck in their bodies and minds. Palmer’s responses to the Connected work were positive. I think he will make a very nice horse with some time to learn the lingo.

I slept the next two nights in the tent at Joan’s for two nights. I can’t remember the last time I slept in a tent! Joan cooked excellent scrambled eggs for breakfast.

Tuesday was a very long day travelling home. First stop was Carolyn’s for a lesson. From there we travelled to a barn one of Peggy’s students is based at. There is a big ‘expo’ planned to showcase Connected Riding in September 2013 which needs the right kind of venue.

I was delivered to my accommodation for two nights at about 9pm last night. I will be at Peggy & Susan’s place after this when they go to Wisconsin for another 101. That will make the sixth place I’ve stayed in the last 9 days (Lana, Karen, Lori, tent, here, Peggy and Susan’s!). It also marks the start of my second month here (almost half way already – time flies). Now, it is time to get organised and head to the barn so I can get back into the swing of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment