Sunday, August 5, 2012

Hot hot hot

It was so. freaking. hot. here today. Unbelievably hot. Like... 33 degrees C with 60% humidity. Yesterday was probably 30 degrees, with 30% humidity.

It is supposed to be slightly cooler tomorrow (high 20s), then slightly cooler still for the next few days (mid to high 20s), which will be PERFECT for getting things done around the barn without melting.

This morning Susan and I went to the barn in the morning to give rems. We forgot the screws and screwdriver to re-hang Fonteyn's mineral and salt feeder on the wall. Sully's face was NOT raw, which means he had not been scratching it all against the side of the door frame - fantastic! Either the Lucas' Paw paw or the slightly thicker calendula salve (which I think must have a beeswax base), or the double-whammy, helped kick start some healing so he doesn't feel the need to scratch his face off... Yay.

I have not mentioned that Susan has had me driving all over the show, in prep for them being away. The change of perspective is really disorienting... I still reach for the gear lever with my left hand, I don't use my rear vision mirror consistently because I have to look to the right for that (at home, it's to the left, of course) and I tend to swing wide on turns to the left because I am not used to having half the car out that way. But, all in all, nothing major and certainly nothing dangerous or Susan would probably have a few more grey hairs ;) It's been great for me to sort out where places are in relation to other places.

Anyway! Taxi driver Helen drove Susan to Judy's house. I will stay there for a week, next week, between housesitting here and going back to Lana's around the 18th or 19th. Judy is away for a month so it will be helpful for her plants to be watered and that sort of thing. The house is - conveniently - not far from Peggy and Susan's place.

Lunch was the remains of Susan's pizza from last night (delicious) as I caught up with emails and finished off another book.

In the afternoon, Susan's taxi drove all over the show: we drove over to Bainbridge Island and the place I will take Josie to her obedience class tomorrow and next week; on the way back we went to Cenex to buy feed and WalMart to buy a whiteboard to keep track of rems and feed recipes, Central Market for more groceries and back to the barn to fix the feeder and hang the whiteboard. By this time we were both melting and sitting with the AC on in the car was positively lovely.

It was Lana's husband Ron's birthday. His three brothers and their families are staying there at the moment. Today was Ron's birthday party, at the pond at the bottom of their property. We arrived just after they'd sung happy birthday but with plenty of time to grill the home-made turkey burgers and talk to people. Josie had clearly stamped her mark on the card for Ron: I pulled it off her with two chewed corners. Thankfully Ron saw the funny side (the dog ate my homework, anyone?!). Strangely enough, the chewed corners were both ends of the flap:  given Ron is sporting one fibreglass cast on his right arm and a plaster cast on the left, with both thumbs  immobile, he was actually able to open the card. [Miss Josie had the right idea, after all.........] I believe I am still full from the food, which included peach cobbler, apricot cobbler and chocolate cake. So much for sugar free (but party food is for parties!).

Susan's task for the afternoon was putting together the booklets for the upcoming CRT 101 course in Wisconsin. I assisted with hole punching and putting the assortment of printouts in the correct order in the folders. It was, of course, still a million degrees and we were all melting (Josie included). Susan suggested a walk around 7.00pm, partly because Josie didn't help us run our errands today and needed some attention, partly because it was cooler out than in the house. And, my gosh, was it beautiful. We walked out down Liberty Bay and past the other marina. She pointed out the route we'd kayaked yesterday. We saw some lovely little houses with great views over the water. I found some very ripe blackberries (the first of the season) WITHIN REACH just after we turned around for home.

Bliss!

No comments:

Post a Comment