Friday, August 3, 2012

Slowing down - just a little

I had such. a. good. sleep last night. Except for the part where I was woken at 4-something am by a text message, from some random stranger (who has sent about 4 messages since I got this phone, which was connected with a 'brand new' number). Sigh. Toast with almond butter for breakfast (delish!) and coffee (yummmmmmm) and I was set for the day.

Sully got groundwork to start. He is feeling much better on his feet. I understand a horse must be comfortable on their feet in order to offer good work - it's not the route I would have taken, but it appears to be working for this horse, on this ground, which is what needs to happen. Anyway... Sully was feeling good enough to give me 'tude today... 'Nuf said! I will groundwork him again tomorrow (and probably lunge with the cavesson).

I rode Chico first. He was SUPER today. He was free through his shoulders, he moved where I asked, when I asked, and his hind legs were present. With him, the stuck-ness is in his shoulders. If they are blocked, his hind legs can't come through. When you work him and mobilise his shoulders (and, of course, get him releasing his neck and lifting his base), his hind legs are so there it's not funny. He did some excellent work on the line: I decided his trot was such a good rhythm and activity that I asked him for canter transitions. He got three great canter departs in each direction. I didn't want to canter him for hours, so focused on keeping up the out/in/on (or, out/in/steady, where appropriate) to keep rebalancing him so he could canter freely.
Under saddle we worked mostly in trot with frequent changes of direction. After the trot, he gave me some really, really lovely walk - head and neck stretched, but not "dumping" as he so frequently does. I am really pleased with how he went.

Between horses I caught up with paperwork: filling in both the diary at the barn and my journal (I have not done the latter for the past 4 barn days so needed to jog my memory.

Time for Fon, who was also a superstar today. She had really good rhythm in trot on the lunge and was mobile through her shoulders. I played with D-shaped spirals and worked her all around the paddock - through the rough footing and longer patches of grass, which really make her pick up her feet, closer to the trees at the other end of the paddock, closer to the road with distractions like people with strollers, cars and dogs. It was prep for riding her there without her losing focus on her rider. All in all, I was very pleased. She came back to a walk and did some lovely stuff, she stood still for mounting, she was responsive to my requests without overreacting; I remembered my elbows (could do with some more connection on my outside rein, but it's coming), remembered to keep thinking about opening my knees and getting froggy, and also to soften the change from one direction to the other. She did well, giving some lovely changes from left to right and back again and some excellent walking to the right (her harder side).

Susan collected me and we met Lana at WalMart. They had some errands to run like setting up a new laptop for Lana. I also needed to get some groceries for my week at Susan's place with miss Josie! They gave me a whirlwind tour of some places near Poulsbo. I think we went to Silverdale but I can't be sure. Costco is enormous and great for bulk quantities of items... like, if you want 4 or 6 or 10 jumbo sized bottles of shampoo, it's the place for you! Trader Joes is a real foodie place - lots of really good quality (and plenty of organic) produce. Finally, dropped Lana back at her car and went to Central, which is just a really large supermarket (and a small cafe, pharmacy, and mini garden centre). Home to make dinner (turkey burgers with fresh salad, grilled onions and grilled squash, plus a piece of toasted sourdough bread for me).

After dinner I played with Josie for a while, mum called on Skype (nice) and I caught up on the medal count for the Kiwis (great results in the rowing and team eventing).

And now to bed ;) Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment